A good commercial CCTV or video surveillance system is one of the best investments you can add to your business, as it discourages criminal activity and protects those who work there. Ironically it is sometimes the very things that are there to protect us, like our security systems, that can be used as a threat against us. It is important to understand why this happens and how you can implement strategies to prevent it from happening.
Why Are Cameras Hacked?
Unfortunately, there are people in the world that may attempt to hack security systems for malicious reasons. These may include:
- To Access Sensitive Data – Most security systems are set up on networks that connect to user’s computers or servers. Hackers can gain access to secure data like password and financial information through this network.
- To Spy On Consumers – If they gain access to your cameras they can track your schedule, which could lead to break-ins or other vulnerabilities.
How can you protect your systems?
Firstly, it is important to get a security consultation from a specialist commercial security company to identify your security needs. You need to ensure the company can offer:
- Experience in the commercial space
- Ability to offer customised security systems
- Advanced technology to meet your integrated system needs
- Installation and maintenance services
Once you know they are an experienced and comprehensive security services company, we advise choosing products/systems that offer the following:
- Up to date Cyber security policy’s – The products used should have the latest cyber security policy’s and best practices implemented during design & development, such as UL CAP and Secure by Default.
- Regular Maintenance Packages – To prevent system failure or software from falling out of date, your provider should offer business security maintenance services. Manufacturers will often provide patches to fix any vulnerabilities that are discovered.
- Secure Private Networks – Products like our Video Verification System have a secure VPN connection end-to-end, which allows your cameras to talk to your monitoring centre with the confidence that your data is protected.
- Password Protection – It is smart to keep passwords updated to prevent stolen credentials from being used by hackers. Change your password regularly and never store them in easily accessible locations.
If you are unsure if your current system is secure or looking to set up a reliable new security system, contact one of our commercial security consultant today.